Residential Generator FAQ
Q: What is a standby generator?A standby generator is an appliance that is installed outside of the home, like an air conditioner, to provide a backup source of electricity in the event of a power outage. When the generator detects a power outage it automatically turns on within seconds to provide power directly to your home’s electrical circuit breaker box. When utility power is restored, the generator shuts off automatically.
Q: What are the advantages of a standby generator versus a portable generator?A permanent standby generator offers several advantages compared to a standby generator:
- It turns on and off automatically
- It is available in larger sizes to power your entire home if needed
- A standby generator runs off your home's natural gas supply, most portable generators run on gasoline
- It's safer to operate than a portable generator, which must be located away from the home to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning
- It provides 24/7 backup power, whether you are home or away